[CentOS] 5.3 Update Success

Kevin Krieser k_krieser at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 4 16:19:47 UTC 2009

On Apr 4, 2009, at 9:30 AM, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>>
>>> I updated two machines yesterday. No problems after reboot so far.
>>> Very
>>> smooth.
>>
>> I also updated two servers in the last few days without any problems.
>> I don't think I have ever had such a simple upgrade of any system.
>
> I have - twice before.
> Once was when I went from 5.0 to 5.1 and once when I went from 5.1
> to 5.2

One time on an upgrade, some kernel problem prevented my system from
booting.  Somewhere between 5 and 5.1.  I had to stick with the
original kernel until some later kernel fixed the problem.

It was around the time the system recognized my video, I believe.

Kernel problems happen.  At work, with the upstream vender, one of the
5.1 era kernels didn't handle the Pentium III on one of our systems
very well, and would panic in some Athlon power management driver.
Later, it too was fixed.

I just upgraded my home system today, and it came up fine.