[CentOS] Wake on LAN

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Sat Apr 4 21:06:54 UTC 2009

This is a decent reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

I wrote WoL code for cluster provisioning software earlier in my career.  It
is actually quite simple.  So long as your motherboard/NIC support WoL and
you have ACPI support then a simple "shutdown" will halt your OS but the NIC
will still have power.  The NIC is ready to receive the magic packet while
in this state.  You simply need to send the packet from anywhere else on the
net (it could be sent over the Internet, it does not have to be on adjacent
LAN) and the system will power up.  Easy.

I've used it on Centos 4.3 and I know it works there.

There are tools out there that make it easy to send the packet (works just
like ping) or you can write your own.

-geoff

Geoff Galitz
Blankenheim NRW, Germany