[CentOS] What's special about port 19842?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:47:33 UTC 2009

On Monday 06 April 2009 12:44:42 Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > I've had umpteen IPs knocking on this door yesterday.  The router blocked
> > them, so it's not a problem, but why that port?
>
> It is related to Conflicker virus.

I see.  I normally have all ports closed and external checkers show the
network as stealthed, but I had temporarily opened the IMAP port, which
presumably drew the attention of the knockers.  It's closed again now, but I
will need to open in when I go on holiday as I collect mail from my server.

I open the IMAP inward port - I don't think I needed the outward one when I
used this before - and I have fail2ban on the server, which stops repeated
attempts at guessing the password.  As far as I can see it has fully
controlled the situation up to now.  I'm just hoping that I have enough
control in place.

Thanks to all who answered.

Anne