[CentOS] acoread 9 slow printing

Frank Cox

theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Apr 6 23:27:08 UTC 2009

We use acroread on Centos 5 to print 11x17 plates for a printing press on a HP
Laserjet 5100.

acroread 8 (AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2-1.i486.rpm) prints a plate in between 60 and
90 seconds.

acroread 9 (AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.rpm) prints the same plate in 10 to 15
minutes.

I've tried this with several different PDF files and it's always the same
result.  Hooking the printer up with a parallel cable or with the HP Jetdirect
network interface makes no noticeable difference.

Something has turned the printing performance of acroread 9 into a slug.   Is
anyone else seeing this kind of behaviour?