[CentOS] Sending a postfix email to my domain.

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Tue Apr 7 01:58:02 UTC 2009

>I have setup postfix on my server (for my blog to send out emails)
>however I host my email on google apps. I want my server to be able
>to send emails towards my GoogleApps account but it's sending it to
>the user within the system (I know this is normal but I need it to be
>a bit different).

So you have an application that sends email to "User A" which resides
locally and hence postfix delivers as such, locally correct?

If you want to rewrite an email/destination, use the virtual alias table
file. Man that or open the /etc/postfix/virtual file and read (postmap it
after).

On many systems I have, I do the following:
1. Comment out 'local' in master.cf:
	#local     unix  -       n       n       -       -       local
 and disable local delivery by editing main.cf to set mydestination equal nothing:
	mydestination =
2. Edit /etc/postfix/virtual to set:
	root     jcasale at example.com
3. Edit main.cf:
	local_transport = error:local mail delivery is disabled.
4. Postmap the /etc/postfix/virtual file.

I don't know enough about your setup, but I presume if it's one email
you want to redirect, simply do steps 2,3 (not the local_transport part) and 4
while performing the edit on 2 applicably.

You also need to ensure the internet facing side of this server allows smtp
outbound and that your server has adequate name resolution. You can use a smart host
if you need, post some more detailed info for a less general/possibly wrong
answer.

jlc