[CentOS] How do I determine if I have to rebuild rpms for 5.3?

NiftyClusters T Mitchell niftycluster at niftyegg.com
Tue Apr 7 19:33:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> I built rpms for Miredo 1.1.5-1 on Centos 5.2 from the fc8 rpms.
>
> How do I determine if I have to rebuild it for Centos 5.3?

Watch to see which shared objects it links to at run time.
You do not want to be caught linking to .so files one version
too old at some future time.   When you build it watch for
any new compiler warnings...  file bugs on both old and new
warnings (with patches if you can).

I see that Miredo Version: 1.1.5-2 exists so you should
also inspect to see if those changes are important.

In general you might expect programs to run one or two
releases back.   I have run some binary packages a lot longer
than that so YMMV.   In this case (networking IPV6 tunneling)
things could change quicker so stay as current as you can and
watch as each new  kernel change is delivered.

Looking at it you could be ok for a long tome.

--
        NiftyCluster
        T o m   M i t c h e l l