[CentOS] Update from 5.2 to 5.3 kernel not on mirror

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Tue Apr 7 22:19:09 UTC 2009


-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Update from 5.2 to 5.3 kernel not on mirror
From: Michael Peterson <mpeterson at mail.charlesfurniture.com>
To: CentOS mailing list <centos at centos.org>
Date: Monday, April 06, 2009 4:02:36 PM
> John R Pierce wrote:
>   
>> Michael Peterson wrote:
>>   
>>     
>>> I have tried today and at least twice last week since the release of 5.3 
>>> on Tuesday and got past the yum update glibc step just fine and have 
>>> already done yum clean all several times and get through the first part 
>>> of the yum update where you have to answer y and then it downloads all 
>>> of the packages it seems but errors out and says that the kernel is not 
>>> available on any mirrors.
>>> The system is running 32 Bit CentOS 5.2.
>>> It is a Pentium D system.
>>> Has anyone else had this issue?
>>> Is there a fix in progress for it?
>>>   
>>>     
>>>       
>> could you give the exact error message, also what kernel you're running 
>> now, and any changes you may have made to /etc/yum.repos.d/* ?
>>
>> # uname -a
>> Linux freescruz.com 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 #1 SMP Wed Nov 12 09:30:27 EST 
>> 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>> (note, we're intentionally running the prior kernel until my associate 
>> can get around to rebuilding some audio kernel modules he requires)
>>
>> # yum list kernel\*
>> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
>> Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
>>  * epel: mirror.hmc.edu
>>  * rpmforge: fr2.rpmfind.net
>>  * base: centos.cogentcloud.com
>>  * updates: mirror.stanford.edu
>>  * addons: mirror.hmc.edu
>>  * extras: www.cyberuse.com
>> Excluding Packages from Red Hat Enterprise 5 - RPMforge.net - dag
>> Finished
>> Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Base
>> Finished
>> Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Updates
>> Finished
>> 1450 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
>> Installed Packages
>> kernel.i686                                                
>> 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5                                     installed
>> kernel.i686                                                
>> 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5                                     installed
>> kernel.i686                                                
>> 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5                                     installed
>> kernel-devel.i686                                          
>> 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5                                     installed
>> kernel-devel.i686                                          
>> 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5                                     installed
>> kernel-devel.i686                                          
>> 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5                                     installed
>> kernel-headers.i386                                        
>> 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5                                     installed
>> Available Packages
>> kernel-PAE.i686                                            
>> 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5                                     updates  
>> kernel-PAE-devel.i686                                      
>> 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5                                     updates  
>> kernel-debug.i686                                          
>> 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5                                     updates  
>> kernel-debug-devel.i686                                    
>> 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5                                     updates  
>> kernel-doc.noarch                                          
>> 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5                                     updates  
>> kernel-xen.i686                                            
>> 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5                                     updates  
>> kernel-xen-devel.i686                                      
>> 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5                                     updates  
>> kerneloops.i386                                            
>> 0.11-1.el5.rf                                          rpmforge
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> CentOS mailing list
>> CentOS at centos.org
>> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>>   
>>     
>
> John
>
> I am also getting the error message on a Celeron 500 that has 5.2 that I 
> am trying to update.
>
>  From the Celeron I have:
>
> The error message is:
>
> Error Downloading Packages:
>  kernel - 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686: failure: 
> RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-128-1.6.el5.i686.rpm from updates: [Errno 256] No 
> more mirrors to try.
>
> # uname --all
> Linux router 2.6.18-92.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 18:49:47 EDT 2008 i686 i686 
> i386 GNU/Linux
>
> # yum list kernel\*
> Installed Packages
> kernel.i686                              2.6.18-92.el5          installed
> kernel-devel.i686                        2.6.18-92.el5          installed
> kernel-headers.i386                      2.6.18-92.el5          installed
> Available Packages
> kernel.i686                              2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-PAE.i686                          2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-PAE-devel.i686                    2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-debug.i686                        2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-debug-devel.i686                  2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-devel.i686                        2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-doc.noarch                        2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-headers.i386                      2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-xen.i686                          2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-xen-devel.i686                    2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> #
>
> No change were made to repos on this system.
>
>  From the Pentium D I have:
>
> The error message is:
>
> Error Downloading Packages:
>   kernel - 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686: failure: 
> RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686.rpm from updates: [Errno 256] No 
> more mirrors to try.
>
> # uname --all
> Linux storage.charlesfurniture.com 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 25 
> 13:49:24 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> # yum list kernel\*
> Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
> Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
>  * base: mirrors.gigenet.com
>  * updates: centos.mirror.nac.net
>  * addons: mirror.steadfast.net
>  * extras: mirror.icpl.org
> Installed Packages
> kernel.i686                              2.6.18-53.1.4.el5      installed
> kernel.i686                              2.6.18-92.1.6.el5      installed
> kernel.i686                              2.6.18-8.el5           installed
> kernel-devel.i686                        2.6.18-53.1.4.el5      installed
> kernel-devel.i686                        2.6.18-8.el5           installed
> kernel-devel.i686                        2.6.18-92.1.6.el5      installed
> kernel-headers.i386                      2.6.18-92.1.6.el5      installed
> Available Packages
> kernel.i686                              2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-PAE.i686                          2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-PAE-devel.i686                    2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-debug.i686                        2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-debug-devel.i686                  2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-devel.i686                        2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-doc.noarch                        2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-headers.i386                      2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-xen.i686                          2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
> kernel-xen-devel.i686                    2.6.18-128.1.6.el5     updates
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS at centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>   
I have a similar problem. Dual PIII Dell server.

Following the directions to upgrade from 5.2 -> 5.3. I ran "yum clean 
all" and "yum update glibc" successfully. Though when trying to do a yum 
upgrade I receive the following errors:

--------------------
yum upgrade
... snip...

(174/260): kernel-2.6.18- 100% |=========================|  15 MB    
00:21    
http://centos.mirror.nac.net/5.3/updates/i386/RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686.rpm: 
[Errno -1] Package does not match intended download
Trying other mirror.
http://ftp.lug.udel.edu/pub/centos/5.3/updates/i386/RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686.rpm: 
[Errno 9] Requested Range Not Satisfiable
Trying other mirror.
http://mirror.stanford.edu/yum/pub/centos/5.3/updates/i386/RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686.rpm: 
[Errno 9] Requested Range Not Satisfiable
Trying other mirror.
http://mirror.newnanutilities.org/pub/centos/5.3/updates/i386/RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686.rpm: 
[Errno 9] Requested Range Not Satisfiable
Trying other mirror.
http://mirrors.rit.edu/centos/5.3/updates/i386/RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686.rpm: 
[Errno 9] Requested Range Not Satisfiable
Trying other mirror.
http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/centos/5.3/updates/i386/RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686.rpm: 
[Errno 9] Requested Range Not Satisfiable
Trying other mirror.

.. snip...

Error Downloading Packages:
  kernel - 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686: failure: 
RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686.rpm from updates: [Errno 256] No 
more mirrors to try.
--------------------

I'm currently on kernel 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5


I had no problem upgrading two recent installs, but this is an older 
install that I do not update as regularly.

--Blake
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/attachments/20090407/171c5927/attachment.html 


More information about the CentOS mailing list