[CentOS] kernel update doesn't update grub.conf

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Apr 7 23:43:35 UTC 2009

Barry Brimer wrote on Tue, 07 Apr 2009 17:30:44 -0500:

> According to /sbin/new-kernel-pkg .. the file that actually gets updated on x86
> and x86_64 systems is /boot/grub/grub.conf

And as I already mentioned in my first posting this file *got* touched. The last
modified date got changed, but not the file itself. Comparing it with a file on
another machine doesn't reveaL any obvious differences. Specifically, the default
entry that should get used as a template is exactly the same, even with the tabs,
only the root path is different.
Comparing the /boot directories I recognize now that I have 3 kernels left on a
machine where it worked, but 4 on the machine where grub.conf didn't get updated.
This is obviously not set in /etc/sysconfig/kernel. Is this a yum setting? I
remember there is configuration how many kernels to keep, but I can't  find it.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany