[CentOS] kernel update doesn't update grub.conf

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Apr 8 15:31:18 UTC 2009

William L. Maltby wrote on Wed, 08 Apr 2009 05:39:27 -0400:

> The installonlypkgs and installonly_limit keywords. The first, according
> to man yum.conf, defaults to kernel, kernel-smp, kernel-bigmem,
> kernel-enterprise, kernel-debug, kernel-unsupported and the latter to 3.

It seems to default to kernel* as I have clearly seen xen kernels
announced for removal. All the yum.conf files are the same on my machines.
I lied about what I wrote about the kernels that got kept. It's always 5
on the amchiens that have existed for some time. This fits with the
installonly_limit = 5 in all yum.conf files. On the one machine with the
problem it's 4 kernels, I think it hasn't reached more yet.
Anyway, it remains a mystery why grub.conf didn't get updated here. I will
check again with next kernel ...

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany