[CentOS] Trouble with 5.2==>5.3 upgrade

R P Herrold herrold at centos.org
Wed Apr 8 22:04:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Blake Hudson wrote:

> Any reason these bad mirrors are not pulled out of the
> rotation?  I had no idea that a single old mirror would stop
> yum in its tracks.

They are.  The offending mirror was identified as stale by the
mirrorlist system, and has aged out at this point ... the
timeout which serves well generally may need to be tweaked
around release time, but then too much load falls on too few
when people start 'jumping the gun' seeking to get the 'latest
and greatest' with manual tuneing.

'Latest and Greatest' gotta-havit-ism is a disease, of course,
but one so afflicted cannot be swayed by reason and advice to
take a deep breath and wait a couple days.  CentOSian's are
not immune

-- Russ herrold