[CentOS] when to reboot after updates

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 19:39:21 UTC 2009

Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I had done the --downloadonly - and the disconnect wasn't network
>> related as other connections to the same site stayed up.  It seemed like
>> something in the cleanup pass killed sshd - and the running yum, leaving
>> a mess.  The transaction recovery list was mostly erasing the old
>> packages.   But, this only happened on one machine out of many upgraded
>> in exactly the same way so I don't really understand it.
>>

> Sounds like something else interfered.  I wouldn't blame this on updating.

I don't like to jump to conclusions, but I stay connected over this link
for months at a time - and the only unusual thing going on was the
cleanup script exection for the updates.  I do have an assortment of 3rd
party packages installed so it might not have been a stock Centos rpm,
though.

> But yeah: screen.  I used to write database update scripts that would
> refuse to run unless the user was running in a screen session.

I suspect that whatever it was, it killed the processes out from under
the connection instead of the other way around - so screen probably
wouldn't have helped.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com