[CentOS] Processes to disable

Bogdan Nicolescu bo2k2 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 20:29:28 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----

See http://www.scribd.com/doc/3000159/RHELCentOSMinimalServicesSetup

>From the author's short list...
anacron and crond - "schedulers", used among other things for cleaning up logs
iptables - firewall
kudzu - hardware detection and configuration
network is what it says (if disabled you will not have network access)
sendmail is what it says
sshd - secure shell deamon
syslog - logs various system messages

To list, enable, and disable services use chkconfig (from a terminal)
(you need to have root access)

http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/chkconfig8.html

to see all services for all levels type:
chkconfig --list

Level 3 is for terminal mode, Level 5 is for GUI mode

to disable/enable a service:
chkconfig --level <levels> service-name off/on
i.e.
chkconfig --level 3 sshd off
Disables sshd for levels 3

chkconfig --level 35 sshd on
Enables sshd for level 3 and 5

To see the names of all the services installed on your system:
ls /etc/rc.d/init.d