[CentOS] What is writing to my filesystem

JCARRIZOSA at Crutchfield.com

JCARRIZOSA at Crutchfield.com
Thu Apr 9 22:51:42 UTC 2009

I have a CentOS 5.2 box that every few months runs out of drivespace on
its root filesystem. Last time I manually searched and deleted some big
files, but don't remember what they were or what wrote to them. The
applications I'm aware of on the box don't write to /.

Is there a way to find the files that get written to the most, or grow
the most over time? Doing a df gives me a snapshot, but it seems clunky
to keep track of the diff on that output over time. I can then see what
processes write to them. Any other ideas on how to investigate this are
welcome.

Thanks much.

Jorge