[CentOS] Using cdrecord on CentOS

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Apr 12 12:23:04 UTC 2009

]
On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 13:49 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use cdrecord on the command line. I'm currently reading the
> relevant chapter in Carla Schroder's "Linux Cookbook". Unfortunately,
> some of the tricks and hints included in the book don't seem to work the
> same way on a standard CentOS 5 install.
>
> 1) Am I supposed to be root to use cdrecord and burn an .iso file?
>
> 2) How do I specify a device? 'cdrecord -scanbus' doesn't seem to work.
> Say my CD burner is /dev/hdc, would 'cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc' be the
> correct way to address it?

Linux has brogressed a lot in this area since cdrecord first began.
Recentl (for me) it looks like the SCSI bus scan is not reliable. But
using the standard /dev/h[abcd] could. However, you should have a link
called /dev/cdrom. Use that if it's there. Be aware that you can config
this stuff in /etc/cdrecord.conf and not have to put it on the command
line, after testing is completed.

> Cheers,
>
> Niki
> <snip sig stuff>