[CentOS] Problem again with shockwave, or flash player (I think)...

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue Apr 14 13:21:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 05:37 -0700, Linda Stark wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> OK I thought I had this problem solved last week.  Last week with help
> from this list, we installed the flash player on my Centos 5 desktop
> machine.
>
> But now when I go to cnbc, I am getting that same problem when trying
> to view vids on their site.  So I click the icon where the empty video
> frame is to install the plugin, the "no suitable plugins were found"
> box come comes up again, so I click on the manual install button, and
> I am getting the "/tmp/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch-2.rpm is
> already installed" box again.
>
> On youtube however, or other sites, I can view vids, and I thought
> that the flash player was installed OK last week but some sites I
> still can't view videos.
>
> Any ideas what I can do?

Nope. But I just went to cnbc and viewed one of the clips NP. I guess I
would first go into Firefox and check the plugins and see what shows
there.

Mine shows Shockwave Flash 10.0 r12

Does your's show that? Do the commands below give similar results?

$ rpm -q flash-plugin
flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386
$ rpm -q firefox
firefox-3.0.7-1.el5.centos.i386

If not, I've got another thing I found out. Make sure Firefox is not set
to check if it's the default browser and that it is *not* set to make
itself the default browser. This wipes out the pluginreg.dat if it is
set.

> Thanks anyone.
> <snip>

HTH