[CentOS] looking for alternative to SME & Clark Connect

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Apr 15 15:23:09 UTC 2009

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a (preferably free) alternative to SME / Clark Connect.
>
> I basically need the following:
> - firewall
> - nat
> - VPN
> - bandwidth limiting / monitoring

I'd split these functions to a separate device, using pfSense on
embedded hardware (ALIX or comparable).
They have no point on a server. pfSense does this on 200 $-size hardware
with 5 Watt energy consumption.

> - email (SMTP / POP3 / IMAP) & groupware
> - file & printer sharing
> - RAID support

I don't think there's a free version for everything ;-)
Zimbra is OK, but the commercial edition costs - same with OX and most
other stuff.
Given the complexity of the stuff involved, I'd say anything like this
needs a commercial backer.
Unless you only use mail.

> - if possible fail-over / high availability support.

For free?
;-)

> I need to support about 15 - 30 (some part time) students, so I would
> like to keep the costs low. If it's free, so much better. SME works
> for most of the stuff, but it still runs on CentOS 4, and I'd prefer
> to use 5.

I have a sense of deja-vu. Didn't we have all these questions and specs
a couple of weeks ago?

Rainer