[CentOS] Using cdrecord on CentOS

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Apr 15 15:55:42 UTC 2009

> Michael A. Peters a écrit :
>

> >> 1) Am I supposed to be root to use cdrecord and burn an .iso file?
> >
> > I've found it works much better if you are root.
> >

> I tried both, and see: cdrecord complains about not being able to set
> certain priorities while being run as user, which induces a high risk
> for buffer underruns. So I have my answer for that.
>
> Another cdrecord-related question. Usually I should be able to copy a CD
> as simply as that:
>
> $ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=copy.iso
>
> Then insert a blank CD, and:
>
> $ cdrecord -v -eject dev=/dev/cdrom copy.iso
>
> Now I did that for data CDs, and it works very well. I thought, normally
> this *should* also work for audio CDs, so I gave that a spin. But
> everytime I try it, dd stops short and gives me an "Input/output error"
> for /dev/hdc.

While dd *can* be used to copy single-track data CDs, it is better to
use the readcd program (comes with the cdrecord package).  For audio
CDs, the cdda2wav program would be a better option.

> I tried three different audio CDs, all three in good state. I can listen
> to them OK on the PC. But all I get with dd is a zero-byte-length
> copy.iso file.

An audio CD is not like a data CD.  It does not have a 'file system'.
It is a collection of data tracks, containing cdda files.