[CentOS] looking for alternative to SME & Clark Connect

Victor Padro vpadro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:14:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>wrote:

> Rainer Duffner wrote:
> >
> >> - if possible fail-over / high availability support.
> >>

> > For free?
> > ;-)
> >

> >> I need to support about 15 - 30 (some part time) students, so I would
> >> like to keep the costs low. If it's free, so much better. SME works
> >> for most of the stuff, but it still runs on CentOS 4, and I'd prefer
> >> to use 5.
> >>

> > I have a sense of deja-vu. Didn't we have all these questions and specs
> > a couple of weeks ago?
>
> That was more about something that scaled up.  For 15 people I'd
> probably run SME server in a VMware guest on a machine doing something
> else.   And handle the high availablity by having the host use RAID1 on
> swappable disks that could be moved to a spare chassis.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

Pfsense supports CARP which can be used for failover.
FreeNAS/Openfiler(CentOS) can be used for file sharing and it supports RAID
also.
and you can use KVM on CentOS to run all of them(VMs) including a VM which
can use Zimbra or any other groupware software you want.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente
servidas"