[CentOS] Dual-boot with WinXP, CentOS already installed

Guy Boisvert boisvert.guy at videotron.ca
Thu Apr 16 15:04:26 UTC 2009

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Sorin Srbu wrote on Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:08:57 +0200:
>
>> Basically, what would I need to change in the how-to from apcmag.com above??
>
> It's like that tutorial says. Forget about backing up grub.conf. This is
> nonsense. You want to make a backup before changing it, just in case, but not
> because of the XP installation.
> After the installation you have to reinstall grub with "grub-install" (from a
> live disk) and add the chainloader stuff to grub.conf.
>
> mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/linux (if that is where you linux resides)
> grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/linux /dev/sda
> (if you want to install it to the partition use sda2 instead of sda, then the
> partition has to be active, so that you can boot from it)
>
> Instead of using grub-install you can backup the mbr before the installation
> and then restore it afterwards. You can easily get bad results from that if
> you mistype, though.
>

> Kai

When i install multi-boot machines, i prefer to use GAG boot manager.

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

It installs itself on the MBR (it's tiny) and all you have to do is tell
Linux to install its boot stuff on its own partition.

As for Winblows, it always wipes the boot record and replace with its
own crap.  No problem, let Winblows install itself and after everything
is done, just re-install GAG, configure the menu items and you're all set.

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.