[CentOS] Dual-boot with WinXP, CentOS already installed

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 17:53:39 UTC 2009

David G. Miller wrote:

> The problem with suggestions to just install Windows and then either use
> another boot loader or repair the grub installation is that you are
> stuck doing that work through Windows.  My experience has been that
> Windows isn't as easy to work with for making changes to the boot loader
> and any approach that overwrites the Windows boot loader may leave you
> with Windows not being bootable.

You can always boot the centos install CD/DVD with "linux rescue" at the
boot prompt - or use a knoppix or other live cd distribution.  And it is
a good idea to be prepared for this.  I don't know if you want this, but
it is also possible to set up VMware server with access to the raw
device so besides dual booting you have the option of running the other
OS as a VM guest.   Most windows versions have to be re-licensed when
they see different hardware even if it is virtual so you may have to use
windows as the host for this if you do it often.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com