[CentOS] gdm login as root automatically

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Tue Apr 21 01:02:45 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone knows how to "automatically" login as root
with gdm and gnome.

I have been doing some searching, and havent been able to find a method.
I dont want to login
automatically all the time - its just part of install setup.
1) kickstart install
2) post section do somethings
3) setup so on reboot auto login as root
4) complete installing some things and REMOVE the auto root login.

This is what I am looking at trying to do. I have it all working except
the auto root login.

I have looked at gdmsetup on centos 5.3 x86_64 and dont see a setup for it.
I have setup gdm to auto login as a regular user but that doesnt work
for me.

How does one setup gdm to login as root automatically?

Thanks,

Jerry