[CentOS] Yum update corrupted something badly - can only get access through SSH terminal or Webmin

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:29:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Dan Roberts <dan at jlazyh.com> wrote:
> Hey there -
>
> This morning I ran the yum updater through Webmin as I do every month
> or so - after about two hours I realized that I still had the same
> updating screen going - and no response.   Seemed strange.
>
> Simple attempts to kill it didn't work so I sent a command to reboot
> the system - that seemed to work, till I turned on the monitor
> directly connected to the server -

My first approach would be to use the lower level rpm to determine
what packages may be in error. Start with yum:

   rpm -qV yum

It will list files that have changed from the initial package installation:
  [u108752 at linbox ~]$ rpm -qV yum
  S.5....T  c /etc/yum.conf

If you see any files besides the user editable ones (such as the
yum.conf, for example) it could mean you have a corrupted binary.  If
so, re-install the package:

  rpm -ivh yum-x.x.x..rpm

You may need to use the --oldpackage flag  or even --force.

If you don't see anything that jumps out as wrong, try running the rpm
verify against all packages;

  rpm -qaV

Ignore things like conf files and logs and look for packages with a S
(checksum change) in the results colums..

Once you can get yum reinstalled, update glibc first, then the rest of
the system.