[CentOS] Yum update corrupted something badly - can only get access through SSH terminal or Webmin

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:29:48 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 15:17, Dan Roberts <dan at jlazyh.com> wrote:
> As to the question below - I have that directory, but not that file.

yum-3.2.8-9.el5.centos.2.1 (from CentOS 5.2) has /usr/share/yum-cli/i18n.py

yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos (from CentOS 5.3) no longer has that file.

Probably you broke your update in the middle so you got things in an
inconsistent state.

Try this command to see which yum you have installed:
# rpm -q yum

And then you can verify if the package's integrity is compromised with:
# rpm -V yum

I believe to solve your problem you will have to reinstall the RPM for
"yum" manually.

To do that, download this RPM:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch.rpm

And then run:
# rpm -Uvh --force yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch.rpm

After that is done, your yum should start working again.

If it does not, report any issues you have, together with the output
of "rpm -q yum" and "rpm -V yum" after reinstalling the package.

HTH,
Filipe