[CentOS] Yum update corrupted something badly - can only get access through SSH terminal or Webmin

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Apr 22 20:00:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 13:40 -0600, Dan Roberts wrote:
> Hi Filipe -
>
> Clearly I have indeed got things broken -
> # rpm -q yum
> package yum is not installed
>
> So I downloaded the rpm for a reinstall as you suggested - but clearly
> I have more to get and install -
>
> I downloaded to my home directory and ran the rpm -Uvh from there
>
> # rpm -Uvh --force yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
> 	rpm >= 0:4.4.2 is needed by yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch
> 	rpm-python is needed by yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch
> 	yum-fastestmirror is needed by yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch
>
> Either I am running this in the wrong location, or there is a lot of
> other stuff out of whack.
----
you've been spoiled by the dependency resolution by yum which doesn't
exist with rpm so in order to get yum installed, you going to need to do
some manual downloading and installation of dependencies.

I wouldn't recommend that you use '--force' for any rpm commands unless
you know what you're doing.

Open a web browser and depending upon your installation (I am using i386
here)...

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/

(it's possible that you may need something from updates)
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/updates/i386/RPMS/

and you will undoubtedly need to download
rpm-4.4.2.3-9.el5.i386.rpm
rpm-libs-4.4.2.3-9.el5.i386.rpm
rpm-python-4.4.2.3-9.el5.i386.rpm

possibly popt and maybe some python stuff - and install locally like...

rpm -Uvh *rpm

and you will probably have to also do that for yum and
yum-fastest-mirror packages as well. Once yum is installed, you can then
update the rest.

rpm

believed to be clean.