[CentOS] Yum update corrupted something badly - can only get access through SSH terminal or Webmin

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 20:37:51 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 15:05 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Once yum is basically working you might be able to
>> yum install yum-utils
>> and
>> yum-complete-transaction
>> to pick up where you left off.  I had to do this on one box where the
>> update process kicked me off and died with a bunch of duplicate packages
>> still in the rpm database.
> ----
> me too...punished for not using screen to update.

I sort-of expected yum to be smart enough to trap sighup's during
transactions. And I think the connection broke because the process
underneath died - so screen would probably have croaked too.

> yum-complete-transaction actually required a leap of faith because there
> were hundreds of packages it wanted to remove  ;-)

Same here... I did do a sanity check with rpm -q package for some of
them to see that two versions were actually there (or rpm thought there
were).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com