[CentOS] Grub configuration from within Windows

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 14:44:29 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:34, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
> using a small CentOS system in a virtual machine is
> one option (the "safe" one, I would say), while mounting / from
> Windows using that driver is another one

I did not test this, but I'm almost positive that GRUB supports FAT as
the partition type for the /boot filesystem.

At least, I have a "fat_stage1_5" file in my /boot/grub directory, I
would expect that one to be FAT filesystem support for GRUB.

It shouldn't be very hard to test, just backup /boot, reformat it as a
VFAT filesystem and move the kernel/grub files back, then reinstall
GRUB with a grub-install command. Boot it (keep a rescue disk handy)
and see if it works. If it does, just check that you can mount that
VFAT partition from Windows, edit it, and see if you can boot to Linux
the next time.

HTH,
Filipe