[CentOS] Grub configuration from within Windows

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 17:40:01 UTC 2009

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Ok, to summarize, using a small CentOS system in a virtual machine is
> one option (the "safe" one, I would say), while mounting / from
> Windows using that driver is another one (the "easy" one, because It
> doesn't feel so safe).

Note that the CentOS that you boot in the VM can be the same one you
boot physically (which may, in some cases eliminate the need to
reboot...).   If you give it access to the whole disk, you'll be booting
from the same grub setup so you have to manually select the centos boot
from the grub menu, but in this scenario you still have control through
your remote access to the running host.

For something a little stranger, you could set up a VM image with access
to the raw disk, but set to boot from an iso image of your favorite
Linux rescue or live cd or dvd.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com