[CentOS] Problems eith yum (wrong releasever)

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Sat Apr 25 17:10:53 UTC 2009

2009/4/26 Sam Piippo <sampiippo at gmail.com>

> After installing clean Centos 5.3 and updating with "yum update" yum starts
> to fail. I get the following error message
>

> YumRepo Error: All mirror URLs are not using ftp, http[s] or file.
>  Eg. 7 is not a valid release or hasnt been released yet/
> removing mirrorlist with no valid mirrors:
> //var/cache/yum/base/mirrorlist.txt
>
> It looks like the $releasever variable has value 7. Why does this happen
> and how do I fix this?

Check that distroverpkg in /etc/yum.conf is redhat-release, if it is, check
that centos-release is the only package providing redhat-release by running
rpm -q --whatprovides redhat-release, you should see

centos-release-5-3.el5.centos.1

which shows a single package and the version is 5, this is what yum uses to
determine releasever... Do you have another package installed that also
provides redhat-release?