[CentOS] Reset audio controller w/o rebooting?

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 21:44:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 12:43 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:55 AM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ok then just a question to solve my thinking. What type of machine is
> > this as in Brand.
>
> It's a custom-built desktop tower from Monarch Computer Systems, who
> seems to have gone out of business almost exactly two years ago.  I'd
> forgotten how long I've had this box.
>
> > The one I'm see the problem on is a HP 400Mhz Celeron
> > 254MB of ram.
>
> P4 @ 3GHz w/ 2GB here.

Well that solves my wonders. Yours is way faster than my clients.

> > What is the mixer your using?
>
> /usr/libexec/mixer_applet2 from gnome-applets-2.8.0-9.el4
>
> > You may can
> > try looking at the Sound Preferences Devices Tab to change the options
> > there to see if that will help.
>
> I'm on CentOS 4.  There is no "Devices" tab on Sound Preferences.
> System Settings -> Soundcard Detection locks up on the test sound,
> just like any other app ...
Ahh.. Hmm
If it helps my client has 4.7 and when he/she run mplayer that's when
the same problem starts. It happens with and app that plays audio. Let
me look tonight to see what exact mixer/driver my clients is using so I
don't tell you a tail.

JohnStanley