[CentOS] 5.3 on an EeePC??

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Apr 29 11:57:26 UTC 2009

David M Lemcoe Jr. wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
>>     I have an ASUS EeePC 701 (with 2GB of RAM and an 8 GB card), on
>> which I've installed CentOS on the hard-drive-plus-card. But it can't
>> even use my eth0.
>>
>>    Some one on a local LUG, where I had mentioned that other OSs did fine
>> with all the same exact hardware, suggested that CentOS, being designed
>> for stability rather than the bleeding edge, likely lacks drivers; so I
>> need to get some.
>>
>>    Anybody know what drivers (for wireless as well as ethernet cable) I
>> need, and how/where to get ones to fit CentOS??
>>
> I'm sure it's possible, but unless you plan not to use X, you won't
> have that much space left to work with! And CentOS needs a bit of RAM
> to perform well anyway.

I'm using CentOS 5.3 on an old IBM Thinkpad T20 with 384 MB of RAM and
it works just fine. Yes, slower than my desktop, but extremely useable
for web browsing and e-mail - which is the EeePC target market.

I probably have a faster disk drive (7200 RPM) but I bet his EeePC has a
faster processor and it certainly has more RAM.

The key - Don't use Open Office, use AbiWord and Gnumeric instead.
OpenOffice is total bloat.

Install NoScript - FireFox quit crashing on the laptop as soon as I
installed NoScript. Turns out a lot of advertisers run cpu/ram heavy
flash and js that really bog limited hardware down.

Don't use Evolution - I'm using thunderbird which works well for imap
w/o too many messages in a folder.