[CentOS] Million linux virtual machines

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Thu Aug 6 01:05:35 UTC 2009

Quoting Jake Shipton <jakems at hotmail.co.uk>:

> On 05/08/09 14:15, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>> ~Snip~
>> Scientists get a million Linux kernels to run at once
>> ~Snip~
>>
>> (how long before shared hosts use this....lol)
>>
>> ~Snip! ~

see here: http://xkcd.com/619/

Dave

> Awesome news :D But I hope that computer is "Energy efficient" and
> doesn't use to much power.. well OK maybe not. (I also kinda don't care)
>
> I'm guessing that box pulls some power :-D Imagine your power bill after
> running that constantly for a month :o
>
> Thus I doubt "Shared Hosts" could afford to run one, let alone more.
>
> PS: Was the box running CentOS?
>
> --
> Jake

When addiction becomes commonplace in a society, people become
addicted not only to alcohol and drugs, but to a thousand other
destructive pursuits: money, power, dysfunctional relationships, or
video games. A social perspective on addiction does not deny
individual differences in vulnerability to addiction, but it removes
them from the foreground of attention, because social determinants are
more powerful.