[CentOS] Battery condition tools CentOS/Dell

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Aug 6 15:21:17 UTC 2009

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>> My laptop is four years old, and yes the battery is aging.  When I bought the
>> laptop there were instructions that if a laptop is used mainly on mains, you
>> should run it on battery, say once a month or so, until you are down to 10%.
>> It was claimed that the periodic discharge in this way actually lengthens the
>> life-span of the battery.
>>
>> Anne
>>

> Lithium Ion type batteries do not have the Memory issue of older battery
> types, where you need to discharge fully to cycle it from low to high to
> build capacity.
>
> It is better that you never discharge a Lithium Battery if possible.

Except recent kernels (or something else) have interferred? with AC
state, and I will be running on battery, even though the OS thinks it is
on AC, so I am NOT watching how long I was on battery and all of a
sudden, POOF!  System off....

GRRR.  Maybe this new 2.6.18-128.1.14.el5 will get it working right again...