[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Aug 7 15:40:46 UTC 2009

Ned Slider wrote:
> [...]
> circumstances are not unique. For every person like me who is knocked
> back or rejected, there must be dozens more onlookers who see that and
> don't even bother trying to engage with the project.
>
> Another example is the forums. I started engaging with the CentOS
> project back in 2005 in the CentOS forums. For years I worked diligently
>   helping users there and was "rewarded" for my efforts in 2008 being
> made a forum moderator/administrator. My fellow forum moderators both
> have @centos.org email addresses, something I was denied? How is one
> supposed to represent the project when one isn't given the tools to do
> so? It's only an email alias - why would some be afforded that and
> others be denied? You may think this is a moot point and I'm complaining
> for the sake of it, but it's about how you make people feel - do they
> feel valued and worthwhile or are they made to feel like their efforts
> don't really matter. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that only a
> handful of people actively participate on bugs.centos.org. Do you ever
> wonder why no one contributes on bugs.centos.org? Perhaps if you
> understand my point in this paragraph then you will start to understand
> why you have no contributors on bugs.centos.org? Generally when people
> are made to feel like they are worthless inconveniences they will go
> elsewhere. You can't just treat people like shit, say CentOS is a
> meritocracy and you "cannot help their wounded feelings" and then wonder
> why they don't want to help you :-)
>
> Which brings me to the point that great software developers do not
> always make great managers of people or people's expectations - the two
> skill sets are not mutually inclusive. I have said it before, and Marcus
> has said it herein, maybe the CentOS Project could use a Community
> Manager role - someone to be the public face of the project and
> interface between the community and the core development team. Someone
> like Akemi has time and time again demonstrated the required skills and
> would be my nomination should such a role ever exist. This would also
> free up valuable developer time to concentrate on development issues
> rather than responding to media nonsense all over the place - let the
> project speak with one voice and let that voice be one who understands
> how to deal with the public. Just an idea.
>
> We had large parts of this discussion nearly a year ago in private and
> were told things would improve. Since then nothing has changed and we're
> having the same discussion again, this time in public. And again we are
> told things will improve. Last time a lot of the concern stemmed around
> the lag of the 5.3 release, being 10 weeks. We were told that processes
> were being put in place to improve that situation. Now we're having this
> discussion again in the midst of an ongoing 12 week lag (and counting)
> for the release of 4.8. It seems to generally be moving in the wrong

I am personally on the 4.8 release now, it will move forward ... I
guarantee it.

We are not moving in the wrong direction ... trust me or not, I don't care.

> Russ is right, people are engaged in this discussion because they care
> passionately about the project and want it to succeed. IMHO if CentOS
> continues to ship a product based on a ~6 month update cycle where 3
> months of the year security updates are late (more than the stated 72h)
> and the other 3 months there are no security updates at all due to the
> update lag period (now running at 12 weeks) required to produce the
> product, then at least to me that is a major cause for concern.

Look ... if you understand how build work, and I know you do, then you
understand that one can not release updates that are built on 4.8
without releasing 4.8.

If you need the updates faster, feel free to pay Redhat for them.

> There - I feel so much better getting that lot off my chest :)

There are always other distros if you don't like this one ...