[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat Aug 8 23:53:11 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 16:14 -0700, Robert wrote:

> > This presents a ripe opportunity for a perception of
> > "unwarranted criticism", "whining" by someone who paid
> > nothing, "lack of appreciation for all the *free* hard work
> > we do", etc.
> >
> > > <snip sig stuff>
> >
> > --
> > Bill
> >

> Bill,
>
> Good points...
>
> yet you forgot about "presentation".... if a person makes a poor
> presentation of possibly helpful and/or valid criticism, then it is similar
> to the wisdom that says...
>
> As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without
> discretion.

Well, this thread had presented so many examples of "presentation"
issues, by both sides (IMO), that I felt it need not be mentioned (and
it was mentioned by another already). Plus I felt if I expressed my
feelings about "presentation" I'd seen over time it would not add
anything *useful* and might make the thread even less productive.

I think Dag's recent post puts it best. And if one accepts what he
suggests, there's a lot of implications attached to it that I think some
folks in the project wouldn't like.

But to each his own.

> plus...
>
> ...maybe some are forgetting that the upstream does close to 700 million a
> year in sales and has no debt... after all the number crunching it appears
> they show a profit in the 80 million a year range.
>
> in my humble estimation, CentOS if run reasonably well and truly supported
> by it's community could have a good fraction of to a full 1% of that
> yearly....
>
> The Team does extremely well technically now, yet imagine how well the
> CentOS Dev team could do if they could take paychecks as well as hire other
> needed positions. eh?
>
> I'd like to see CentOS flourish in all possible ways !!!

Ditto. And if there is a common and unifying attitude adopted by
everyone inside the project that includes a concious effort to make
folks feel welcome, within acceptable and well-documented limits, then
the chance of success is increased.

Without the "buy-in" to a "corporate ethos" by the project members,
success is likely harder or less. But it may still satisfy their
individual objectives, and so be considered successful.

But I've seen other projects come and go. This one is no different.
Problems almost always include (and even stem from) one thing that is
the most difficult to obtain in a project of this sort - the suppressing
of an ego-centric outlook for a more altruistic attitude and behavior.

Not an easy thing when there's no paycheck with which to buy commitment.

--
Bill