[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 23:55:42 UTC 2009

> Who is the project serving? The "core" themselves or a "community" of
> users as well? If that is effectively and accurately answered, then the
> dynamics of the relationship(s) between users of the project and the
> "core" can be more clearly stated and understood.

In the end, most F/LOSS projects seem to be created to "scratch an
itch" as it were in the founder/developers. That "itch" can be
anything from needing a tool for a problem to something as noble as
bringing technology to others who couldn't otherwise afford it.

What I see this group's "itch" being is the need to bring a free (as
in beer) version of what IMO is probably the most widely recognized
enterprise Linux distribution to those who want the benefits of that
OS but don't need/want the support package built in at said upstream
vendor.

If that means the devs are more demanding of those they let into the
ranks then your typical F/LOSS project, so be it. From my perspective
it shows they are serious about keeping the project true to it's aims,
and that makes it easier to sell CentOS to my boss.

A meritocracy maybe, but I haven't seen any business out there that
runs like a typical F/LOSS project. I was hired into the firm I admin
because I was able to demonstrate I had the skills needed, and my boss
could verify those skills. In a project like CentOS it's not easy to
verify a person's skillset so the process of earning your way into the
"inner circle" is an acceptable, in my view, way to show a person is
cut out for position. CentOS in this case seems to have more stringent
requirements.

Myself, I know I'm not cut out to be a dev so I hang around various
mailing lists, poking my head up when I have answers to questions
and/or questions myself. My contribution to Linux as a whole is to
work on promoting it within my sphere of influence. That I can do, and
it allows me to promote CentOS along the way.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie