[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 20:16:13 UTC 2009

Ian Murray wrote:

> Part of my professional work is risk assessing system upgrades. I have
> been doing so long now that everything I professionally do is considered
> from a risk perspective. Maybe those of us that have to assess risk on a
> daily basis understand what I am on about and the ones that don't.... don't.

Exactly.  I once built things on AT&T Unix and hardware.  Nice big
company with plenty of resources, dedicated, bright developers, a
history of following through many releases, and then out of the blue it
was gone.  Dell was the next choice since it was pretty much the same
code base as AT&T SysVr4 with some extra drivers.  Then when Windows95
came out, Dell dropped it and pretended they'd never heard of unix. (I
understood much later after reading their transcripts in the Microsoft
antitrust case...) Then there was Red Hat which didn't really work at
the time but had the redeeming features that bugs you reported sometimes
got fixed and you didn't have to count licenses - and then that went
away too.  So yes, I'm paranoid.  There aren't many survivors in this
business.   Hmmm, I left out an interesting interlude with BSDI in there
somewhere but they were killed by a lawsuit.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com