[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

Ian Murray murrayie at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 11 22:25:23 UTC 2009

I am troubled by the window of opportunity that a hacker has between RH releasing a point release and CentOS releasing the equivalent. Every RH published errata for that stream is a known weakness to your system and there is not a sausage you can do about it until the CentOS project delivers the point release. The quicker it is, the less of a problem, but the slower it is, the more exposed you are. CentOS have not exactly been knocking out the updates very quickly.

Having asked the question on the SL list, I've been informed that they release interim security errata and build all dependencies. They freely admit that doesn't always work and somethings do get missed, especially immediately after RH does a point release. However, as was also pointed out, you have the choice to take the updates or not, so you are never worse off than you are with CentOS, in that respect at least.