[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

R P Herrold herrold at centos.org
Wed Aug 12 02:14:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

>> I didn't 'get' the security implications of the rebuild
>> stuff til it was explained to me the other day.
>
> Share the knowledge:) Aside from the delay involved while
> the devs build rpm's from the srpm's, is there more to it?

This thread will never end if it starts running 'DC al Coda'
and ad infinitum.

There are build order dependencies, and build environment
checking, to get to a 'warts and all' replication of the
upstream's binary product, detailed yet again, as I recall in
a post from hughesjr earlier in this thread.  Karanbir's cited
response post as to one of the external press articles alludes
to it as well.  The 'I think SL is a possibility' subthread as
well notes that this is a slippery slope that sometimes has
minor cracks.

_Please_ read it from the freely open pipermail archive,
rather than reprising here

--Russ herrold