[CentOS] OT: Firefox SSL error on Linux, Firefox OK on Windows - same web site

Wed Aug 12 14:52:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Filipe
Brandenburger<filbranden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Lanny! How's it going?
OK Filipe.    :-)

>> analytics.linksynergy.com uses an invalid security certificate.
>> The certificate is only valid for *.opendns.com
>
> It looks like you are getting to an OpenDNS server instead of a
> LinkSynergy server...

Yes. But what I do not understand is why that is happening on Linux
and not on Windows. The version of Firefox on Windows is only very
slightly advanced than the version on Linux.

> This looks like exactly the kind of stuff that OpenDNS does... They
> redirect inexistant domains to their own servers. I think there are
> also some options that you can request to redirect other domains (like
> maybe ones used by ads?) to their servers.
>
> To diagnose the problem I suggest you use "nslookup" on the two
> machines

Actually it's the same box. It's dual boot.

> to find out to which IP they are resolving
> analytics.linksynergy.com, I think they will probably not resolve to
> the same IP (if they do, then try to close and reopen Firefox, clear
> the cache, and try the website again, maybe it was a temporary problem
> and is now fixed). If the IPs are indeed different, then you can use
> "whois" to find out who owns the IP, I bet the one that gives you the
> certificate error you reported is going to be owned by OpenDNS.

OK. I will try this later and I think I cleared the cache when this
first began happening, but I will try that again too.  Actually, I
have been having this problem with the new LinkShare Publisher web
site for quite awhile, but they also had the old Traditional
interface, until yesterday, which worked perfectly for me. So, now, it
has become an issue I need to try to eliminate.

> If you need help using the tools (nslookup and whois) please reply to
> the list and we'll happy to help you there. If you can resolve the IPs
> with nslookup you can post them to the list as well.

Will try nslookup ASAP and get back to the list later. Thank you!

Also, Johnny, thank you for your reply!   I started to reply to you
and due to operator error, lost my response...