[CentOS] Dangerous Software Raid instructions on Wiki

Jason Pyeron jpyeron at pdinc.us
Wed Aug 12 16:29:53 UTC 2009

Confusing sarcasm aside, there is value to not having high damage command able
to be so easy to copy, paste, destroy.

How about /dev/sdX /dev/sdY and call it a day.

> > > whatever you tell them to do without thinking if you do
> not list out
> > > things they first have to think about or questions they
> first need to answer.
>
> I think this seriously highlights the need to hire competent
> system administrators.
>
> The reason you want to wipe the beginning of the drive is
> that some fake-raid controllers write crap to the drive and
> if you leave it there some linux installers (anaconda, at
> least) will install dm-raid using that info rather than setup
> md raid using normal linux conventions. Which is exactly what
> that section of the instruction says. My kickstart scripts do
> the same thing and for the same reason.
>
> Let me be even more clear - if your successor doesn't know
> what dd does, or what drives correspond to /dev/sda and
> /dev/sdb in the box he's working on, he has no business being
> within 10 feet of a production server without careful supervision.

within 10 feet of a production server WITH OR without careful supervision.

- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -