[CentOS] yum update

Max Hetrick maxhetrick at verizon.net
Thu Aug 13 12:10:23 UTC 2009

madunix wrote:
> Can any one clarify this, is auto updating at all production servers
> recommended or not?
> need to know your opinion, how do you manage the update?

I guess that depends on your situation. For me, if it's a package that I
know isn't going to mess with users being logged on, or something of the
like, then I don't see it as a problem.

But if it's a package update like samba, or httpd, or something similar,
you might want to hold off on auto updates until you can do them
manually and restart any services that are needed with it.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but I think it's
dependent on the packages being updated. Personally I like to restart
immediately any services associated with the updates, then you know any
and all files that are changed with the update are applied.

Regards,
Max