[CentOS] OT: Fortunate clueless dd chum - lvm recovery

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Fri Aug 14 16:48:33 UTC 2009

Ross Walker wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Chan Chung Hang
> Christopher<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>
> Question now is, was the first sector of partition 1 damaged (was it
> 63 or 64 sectors dd'd)?
>
> If so it will require a more tricky procedure to fix.

No, the ext2 file system does not use the first 1K block of the partition.
That space is left free for a boot loader.  The first super block of the
file system is the 2nd 1K block of the partition, and even if that gets
overwritten it is easily recovered from one of the backup super blocks.

                 Do NOT delete it.