[CentOS] building CentOS rpms?

Mr. X tlviewer at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 01:06:03 UTC 2009

Dave,

--- On Fri, 8/14/09, Dave <dave.mehler at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Dave <dave.mehler at gmail.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] building CentOS rpms?
> To: centos at centos.org
> Date: Friday, August 14, 2009, 5:31 PM
> Hello,
>     I'd like to get in to rpm building and
> am looking for a CentOS
> specific document if any to get me going? I want to
> repackage an existing
> rpm and give it different runtime options so it'll work on
> a server, and
> make an rpm at least one probably more, and then submit
> them to the rpmforge
> repo.

The rpmforge repo is independent (but much loved) from Centos. It has its own rules and mailing lists.
http://lists.rpmforge.net/

To get started you need a small toolset called rpmdevtools (found at Epel).
(usage):
To make a buildroot in your home folder,
rpmdev-setuptree    Create RPM build tree within user's home directory

The bible for building rpm packages was written by Ed Bailey
http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/

Fedora has stellar docs for rpm building, compatible with Centos
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

To modify an SRPM, you need to extract the source to your buildroot first. If you want to change default values in a config file, then rebuild the rpm, you can use rpmbuild.

--
Mark