[CentOS] advice needed about "554 Too many recipients"

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Aug 17 17:21:51 UTC 2009

Brian Mathis wrote:
> Mailing list software (like majordomo) are a terrible way to handle
> bulk mailing to people.  They are not intended to be used for one-way
> communication, and by default replies to them will get sent to
> everyone else on the list.  It is possible to disable this behavior,
> but in general this requires delving deep into the config options to
> make sure you didn't miss anything.  Additionally, the people who
> typically need this kind of software have mostly never heard of the
> command-line, and would not be anywhere near the skill-level needed to
> manage mailing list software.

I've setup Mailman for announce-only lists for several people and
they've generally been quite happy with it.   You configure it as a
moderated list and only allow the pre-approved moderators to send to the
list, and you configure the list so replies go back to a predetermined
address (often I create an alias that forwards to a few people).    Once
you've initially set it up, all list management is done with a web
interface.   Mailman handles double-opt-in subscriptions so users can
add and remove themselves from the list...  Tweak the listinfo and
footer text to suit the use, and you're off and running.