[CentOS] virt-manager crashes Host during installation of guest

Bernhard Gschaider

bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at
Tue Aug 18 17:56:36 UTC 2009

Hi!

I have the following problem: I have a server (CentOS 5.3 x86_64) on
which I want to install a virtual Xen-machine (CentOS 5.3 x86_64), I
ssh from my workstation (Centos 5.3 x86_64 .... do you see the pattern ;) )
to that server and start the virt-manager. I create a new Guest
(Paravirtualiuzed) and point it to the server with the installation
files (CentOS 5.3, but I already said that). The manager creates the
disk image an then opens the Graphical console for
installation. Sometime around the point where the installation program
wants me to select the keyboard the graphical console it freezes. The
server is completely dead (no console, no disk activity, no ping, only
a reset will "repair" it)

My question: am I doing something stupid? But I figured "They're all
the same system, this must work"

I don't want to play around with it too much as the server is also our
file-server and people start complaining.

So any hint will be greatly appreciated (otherwise I'll have to setup
another machine for the guests)

Bernhard

DI Bernhard F.W. Gschaider
EMail: 	Bernhard.Gschaider at ice-sf.at
WWW  : www.ice-sf.at
Jabber : bgschaid at jabber.org
Tel:	+43(3842)98282-42	Fax:	+43(3842)98282-02