[CentOS] Compiz window manager?

Toralf Lund toralf.lund at pgs.com
Wed Aug 19 14:29:50 UTC 2009

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Toralf Lund a écrit :
>
>> Has anyone here tried the Compiz window manager under CentOS 5? I just
>> thought I might give it a go, but when I executed "compiz --replace", I

[ ... ]

> I'm using it, on all my desktop PCs, and two of these have different
> NVidia cards.
OK. So it ought to work, then.

>  The lines you describe must indeed be in xorg.conf,
> otherwise you'll have no window decorations.

Fair enough...
> But to activate Compiz, you just have to go to Preferences>Desktop
> effects in GNOME, and click on "Activate". That's all there is to do.

What this actually does is just to start the window manager with the
--replace option the way I indicated earlier, I would assume. It also
fails, in this case with a very general error message in a popup. In
other words, this setup simply doesn't work on my machine. I forgot to
mention that I have two monitors and use TwinView, though - perhaps the
problem is related to that. Maybe I'll try with a single-screen setup
later...

- Toralf

This e-mail, any attachments and response string may contain proprietary information, which are confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is for the intended recipient only and if you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely in this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.