[CentOS] virt-manager crashes Host during installation of guest

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Aug 19 17:31:27 UTC 2009

Bernhard Gschaider wrote on Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:52:52 +0200:

> - I always installed as a paravirtualized machine, Could it be that
>    the install-kernel on the 5.3-media is not aware of this and somehow
>    manages to shot the host

I haven't done completely new xen setups on 5.3 yet, only on earlier
kernels and for these the answer is: no.

> (because I noticed that most recipies on the
>    net, including http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingCentOSDomU
>    never talk about paravirtualized (so I assume they use a fully
>    virtualized guest)

Most of the recipes I know of either use virsh (which needs libvirt and is
not xen-specific) or they advocate some oldish ways (like bootstrapping
from a kernel outside of the VM) or are not aware of paravirtualization.

A "virt-install -p" (for paravirtualized) should get you going in an
interactive fashion. If you have a kickstart file you can do a completely
automated install with virt-install.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany