[CentOS] logwatch not mailing

Cliff Nadler cnadler at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 21:17:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net> wrote:
> I noticed a few days ago that I'm not getting my logwatch emails to the
> root account any longer, and while I've definitely been applying updates
> from base, no other changes have happened on this box.

I'd check the /var/spool/cron log to see if it's actually running
properly. After that I'd check the maillogs to see if there was a
delivery problem.

> I ran logwatch at the command line:
>
> logwatch --detail medium --mailto root at fqdn.example.com

Try that again, but tail -f /var/log/maillog in another window (if
there's not alot of mail traffic on that host) to see if it's
generating any mail logs

> but still no email.
>
> As expected, /etc/cron.daily has the following entry:
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   39 Jul 30  2008 0logwatch ->
> /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/logwatch.pl

What are the permissions on /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/logwatch.pl?
Check to see if any updates were applied to logwatch recently (yum
info or rpm -qi logwatch) and check your logwatch config files to see
if anything changed there.

Hope this helps,
Cliff