[CentOS] problem with udev when booting kernel 5.3 release 128.4.1

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at enter.net
Fri Aug 21 15:48:27 UTC 2009

Rob Kampen wrote:
> I am running a 64 bit 5.3 kernel on an intel mb and all has been well.
> Today I thought it would be okay to reboot so that the latest kernel was
> running - i.e move from 128.2.1 to 128.4.1 release.
> The system passes POST fine, grub passes control to the 128.4.1 kernel
> and the boot process is under way.
> after some 30 secs the system starts beeping - continuously.
> After I hooked up a monitor I find that udev does not come up with OK
> and thats when the system starts the beep beep beep ......
> No logs to see ......
> using grub to select 128.2.1 boot fine
> Any ideas?

I just upgraded the kernel also, and I'm having the same problem (except
that my screen goes blank).

I noticed that Interactive mode allows the system to boot.

So, I'm wondering how to revert to the penultimate kernel. I tried to
find info - all I got was
rpm -e kernel-oldversion
Would that make the system drop to the next-to-most-recent?

I saw a few mentions of using grub - but I set the timeout to 0 (but I
don't use that screen, so I don't even see it now). If this method is a
permanent fix, should I set it so that it comes up on the next boot?

[mykolas at sr1220 ~]$ uname -r
2.6.18-128.4.1.el5
[mykolas at sr1220 ~]$ rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.6.18-128.el5