[CentOS] p800 and HP

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Mon Aug 24 09:31:34 UTC 2009

On Friday 21 August 2009, Rainer Duffner wrote:

> >> Heard this a few times now, in the interest of getting something
> >> better
> >> next time, what have you found equally reliable but faster?
> >
> > Nothing as cheap as a full dl185 that's for sure unless you count
> > SUNs thor
> > (thumper ng) machines but then you'll have to do the raid part in
> > software
> > somehow.
>
> Yeah, but that is as easy as
> zpool create tank raidz2 dev1 dev2 dev3 dev4 dev5 dev6 etc.
> zfs create tank/bigdisk

Well, this being the CentOS mailing list I kind of assumed the OP was planning
to run Linux on it and last I checked that did not include a production
worthy zfs (if one at all).

> If you really want to go with a HW controller, try Areca or the high-
> end 3Ware models.

We have lots of 3ware. They work but when they exhibit problems it's, IMHO, a
lot worse to diagnose/fix. Also, in my experience, both Areca and 3ware
almost needs XFS to run fast (sequential I/O wise).

/Peter